Three appears to be the lucky number, with three impressive new Korg products leaked. Here's the full details we know now about the new sequencer, ARP 2600 MINI and OP Six synthesizer.
It feels like you can barely go a week in the world of synthesizers without coming across an ARP 2600 recreation in hardware or software. Behringer are edging their 2600 closer and closer to our studios with an incredible amount of interest, especially at the insanely low $599 USD price point.
ARP 2600 Mini
Korg have their own ARP 2600 Mini readying itself to compete. It looks to have much the same I/O as its larger sibling. We've yet to receive details on price and availability... but it's a leak people. The real details will be released when the ARP 2600 Mini is officially announced.
Korg SQ-64 Step Sequencer
Also exciting is the impending introduction of a 64-step sequencer. While there are others in existence, the wonderful 8-track, 64-step Polyend SEQ, for example... Korg's own SQ-64 Step Sequencer looks very compact. It's not possible from the photo alone to see how many tracks there are. While the number of buttons on the left column of the device suggests 4-tracks, it may be possible to scroll through to program more tracks as there appear to be a fair few inputs and outputs on the back of the device.
Could this be polyphonic? Could it be polyrhythmic? It's certainly poly-something... Answers will be provided when Korg makes the official announcement.
According to Gearnews the juiciest of the three upcoming releases appears to be a new synthesizer, OPSIX.
It looks to be an FM synthesizer. And here are some images and spec details to wet your apetite.
- Keyboard: 37 keys (velocity and release-velocity sensitive)
- Maximum Polyphony: 32 voices (or a max. of 24 voices, depending on the settings)
- Sound generating system: Altered FM sound generator
- Structure: 6 operators, 1 filter, 3 EGs, 3 LFOs, 3 effects, step sequencer, arpeggiator
- Algorithm: 40 presets + user algorithm (unique to each program)
- Operator: 5 modes (FM, Ring Mod., Filter, Filter FM, Wave Folder)
- Oscillator waveform: 21 waveforms (Sine, Sine 12bit, Sine 8bit, Triangle, Saw, Saw HD, Square, Square HD, Additive Saw3, Additive Sqr3, Additive Tri3, Additive 12345, Additive 1+2, Additive 1+3, Additive 1+4, Additive 1+5, Additive 1+6, Additive 1+7, Additive 1+8, Noise S/H, Noise White)
- Filter: 11 types (LPF 12, LPF 24, LPF MS-20, LPF POLY6, HPF 12, HPF 24, HPF MS-20, BPF 6, BPF 12, BRF 6, BRF 12)
- EG: ADSR
- LFO: 23 waveforms (Triangle, Saw Down, Saw Up, Square, Sine, Sample&Hold, Guitar, Exp. Triangle, Exp. Saw Down, Exp. Saw Up, Step4 Triangle, Step6 Triangle, Step4 Saw Down, Step6 Saw Down, StepRnd:Time, StepRnd:Lvl&Time, StepRnd:Level, Random:Time, Random:Lvl&Time, Triangle + , Saw Down + , Saw Up + , Square +)
- V.Patch: 12 routings
- Effect: 30 types (Chorus, Unison Ensemble, Phaser, Phaser (BPM) , Auto Pan, Auto Pan (BPM), Flanger, Flanger (BPM) , Rotary Speaker, Auto Wah, Exciter, Enhancer, LFO Filter, 3-Band EQ, Distortion, Guitar Amp, Decimator, Grain Shifter, Master Limiter, Compressor, Delay, Delay (BPM) , Autopan Dly, Autopan Dly (BPM), Tape Echo, Tape Echo (BPM) , Early Reflection, Reverb, Shimmer Reverb, Spring Reverb)
- Sequencer: Step Sequencer (up to 16 steps, up to 6 notes per step) , Motion Sequencer (up to 6 lanes)
- Arpeggiator: 7 patterns (MANUAL, UP, DOWN, ALT1, ALT2, RANDOM, TRIGGER) fault)
- Number of programs: 500 (250 preset programs and 250 user programs as the factory-set de
- FAVORITE: 64 (16 Slots × 4 Banks)
- Controllers: MODULATION wheel, PITCH wheel, RATIO OP 1–6 knobs, LEVEL OP 1–6 sliders, DATA ENTRY A–F knobs
- Inputs/outputs: Headphone (6.3 mm stereo phone jack), OUTPUT L/MONO and R (impedance-balanced 6.3 mm TRS phone jacks), DAMPER (6.3 mm phone jack, half-damper not supported), MIDI IN and OUT connectors, USB B port
- Power supply: AC adapter (DC12V)
- Power consumption: 5 W
- Dimensions (W × D × H): 565 × 338 × 90 mm / 22.24″ × 13.31″ × 3.54″
- Weight: 2.9 kg / 6.93 lbs.
- Included items: AC adapter, Precautions, Quick Start Guide
Stay tuned to Ask.Audio for more details on these three new products from Korg as and when we find out info.