Reaper 6 from Cockos is hugely customisable, competitively priced and a whole lot of DAW for your money. Here's what's new in the latest update.
Cockos has released version 6 of Reaper, its powerful and highly customisable DAW. A discount license costs just $60, and the upgrade is even free for existing users of version 5. Check out the video below for a quick guide to what's new.
- FX Plug-in Embedding: Embed small versions of some plug-ins into your tracks control and mixer panels, including ReaEQ, ReaFIR, ReaXcomp, graphical JSFX plug-ins, and more.
- MIDI CC Envelopes: Handle MIDI CC data as continuous data envelopes, rather than discrete events; create smooth, musical articulations and effects.
- Auto-stretch Timebase: Automatically stretch and reconform audio around complex tempo changes; easily work with tempo-mapped and live-played recordings together.
- Routing Diagram: View and edit project routing using a high-level graphical patchbay emulation.
- Retina/HiDPI: Automatic rendering to HiDPI and Retina displays; new Default 6 theme supports 100%, 150% and 200% natively.
- Big Project Improvements: Vastly optimized behavior for projects with high (200+) track counts; Metal display support for massively faster screen drawing on newer macOS displays.
- New theme with extensive customizability via Tweaker script; Dynamic Split improvements; import and render media with embedded transient information; per-track positive or negative playback offset; faster and higher quality samplerate conversion; and many other fixes and improvements.
- Efficient, fast to load, and tightly coded. Can be installed and run from a portable or network drive.
- Powerful audio and MIDI routing with multichannel support throughout.
- 64-bit internal audio processing. Import, record to, and render to many media formats, at almost any bit depth and sample rate.
- Thorough MIDI hardware and software support.
- Support for thousands of third-party plug-in effects and virtual instruments, including VST, VST3, AU, DX, and JS.
- Hundreds of studio-quality effects for processing audio and MIDI, and built-in tools for creating new effects.
- Automation, modulation, grouping, VCA, surround, macros, OSC, scripting, control surfaces, custom skins and layouts.