It's time to exercise those remixing neurons and go wild with the exclusive track, "K(no)w" by Erin McKeown and Ben Sollee which was written and produced from start to finish in the new MPV SongCraft: Songwriting with Erin McKeown and Ben Sollee video tutorial.
Check the video course and learn how the original version was produced in Dubway Studios, New York. Then download the stems and remix the same song. Can you make a better mix, or will you go left field and take it in a completely new direction altogether? The choice is yours!
There's fantastic prizes provided by our generous partner, Neumann, who create some of the most mind-blowing microphones period.
- 1st place: Neumann TLM 102 + a 1 Year Online Subscription to macProVideo.com
- 2nd place : 12 Month Online Subscription to macProVideo.com
- 3rd place : 6 Month Online Subscription to macProVideo.com.
Whether you win or not, here is your chance to share your musical excellence with the world!
Contest ends on Midnight PST, July 31, 2013. Results will be announced on The MPVHub shortly after! Good luck!
How To Enter
1. Download the stems and get remixing!
2. Upload your finished remixes using the SoundCloud submissions box below. (You'll need a free SoundCloud account).
3. Listen to and vote for your favorite remix entries in the player below.
... and the artists will personally select the top 3 winners. Winners will be announced on (or soon after) July 31st, 2013!
About The SongCraft Tutorial
Two established singer/songwriters meet for the first time. They have a day to compose a new tune. Possible? You bet! Learn the craft of songwriting with Ben Sollee and Erin Mckeown as they explore the depths of their creativity and emerge with an evocative new song.
Ben Arthur, our intrepid songwriter-in-motion, and his talented audio/video team from Dubway travelled to the SXSW festival in Austin, Texas to document what songwriters do best: write songs!
The Dubway crew first rounded up the very talented cellist/songwriter/performer, Ben Sollee. Next, they wrangled in the extraordinary folk/rock singer/songwriter Erin McKeown. Then they set up a gorilla, hi-tech recording studio in a rented condo and '"using Pro Tools and a collection of quality mics'" documented the process of birthing a new song.
The songwriting process is both elusive, demanding and often frustrating. So when you add time-pressure to the mix, well, it becomes downright insane. This course is designed to give you an inside look at the craft of songwriting and the trials and tribulations of creativity under the musical microscope. Watch as Erin and the two Bens literally put their heads together to meet the challenge. You will learn a lot about songs, collaboration and recording in less than desirable, non-studio situations!
So, sit back and watch this songwriting docu-reality course and learn the art and the craft of birthing and recording a song... all in a few hours!
Watch this one-of-a-kind video course:
(L to R): Ben Sollee, Erin McKeown, Ben Arthur.
About Neumann TLM 102
The TLM 102 is impressive in terms of sound: In the interior is a newly developed large-diaphragm capsule (cardioid) with a maximum sound pressure level of 144 dB, which permits the recording of percussion, drums, amps and other very loud sound sources, for example. Instruments that are not especially loud also benefit from the very fast transient response of the TLM 102. However, its most important applications are in the realm of vocals and speech; a slight boost above 6 kHz provides for excellent presence of the voice in the overall mix. Up to 6 kHz, the frequency response is extremely linear, ensuring minimal coloration and a clearly defined bass range. The capsule has an elastic suspension for the suppression of structure-borne noise. A pop screen integrated into the grille serves to suppress plosives in vocal and speech recording.
Due to its price and flexible field of application, the TLM 102 is ideal for the home recording and project studio sector, as well as for the broadcasting area, especially when clear lines of sight to the speakers are a priority.
The TLM 102 is available in black and nickel; a stand mount is included.
Discover more here: http://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=current_microphones&cid=tlm102_description
is a high-tech, online video education community specializing in everything music from recording, mixing and music theory to expert training on world's leading audio software including Logic Pro, Pro Tools, Ableton Live, Native Instruments, Reason, Cubase, and more! Our entire library is available online, 24/7 so you learn what you want, when you want. macProVideo.com.
What would you like to learn today?
Terms And Conditions
- Entries must be submitted to the SoundCloud Dropbox above. You'll need a free SoundCloud account to participate. We advise that submitted tracks should be set to 'public'. If you wish, the download option can be disabled.
- The closing date for entries is midnight, PST on July 31st, 2013. We reserve the right to alter the stated competition dates and the announcement date of the winning entries.
- Winners will be selected by Erin McKeown and Ben Sollee and/or Dubway Studio team. The judges decision is final.
- No cash alternatives can be offered for prize winners.
- All trademarks and logos are protected. All rights of the producer and the owner of the recorded work are reserved.
- Entrants must warrant that their entries are original work and do not infringe intellectual property and privacy of a third party. You are free to use sounds that were created by you and/or royalty free loops.The submitting party bears full responsibility for their use of any 'uncleared' content. 'Uncleared' content is defined as a sample, loop or audio file which you didn't create, or which you do not own the copyright of.
- Entrants agree that their entries can be used, without additional rights being requested, in any associated SongCraft series video course created by macProVideo.com, AskVideo.com and any of their partners for online and download distribution.
- Shipping costs will be paid for by macProVideo and Dubway Studios. Any local tax or customs charges must be paid for by the prize winner.
- All entrants to this contest will be deemed to have accepted the rules and terms and conditions.
Now we're done with the legal speak'¦ Good luck creating amazing remixes!