Ask.Video
Forums
  • tim
    question about ableton live
    i just bought an m-audio blackbox and axiom 25. and it comes with a free software called ableton live. i installed it in my macbook right away, and i find it hard to use--because first, i don't have that much background about using softwares like that. and second i dont know where to start., i went to the site--read articles about it, read the manual, but still im having a hard time figuring it out. so, i bought a tutorial dvd about ableton.i bought the dvd, so im still waiting,, i thought its easy as garageband... but i dont know... everybody says it easy-- out of the box you can use it ryt away. i need some advice. thanks., tim
  • Alex83pearl
    Re: question about ableton live
    Hi, I'm new user of Ableton Live, so I just lived the same problem, and I've been glad to watch the Ableton's site vids, [url]http://www.ableton.com/downloads[/url], that helps a little to get familiar with it. That's an exellent idea to buy a tutorial dvd but Live won't really be useful until you upgrade it to the full version! In actuality your "free version", or Live Lite, is more or less a kind of demo! You need to buy the full licence. But I still have a good news: you'll have a preferencial price because this is an upgrade from Live Lite to Live complete. Check the Ableton site at the "Shop" zone. Hope that had helped you!
  • tim
    yeh i did went to ableton's site and downloaded the upgraded version-- they sent me the serial no. but it's not working-- invalid no. so i guess i have to buy the full version of it. the ableton live 6 ryt?? and the thing is when i use my black box or my axiom on live-- i can see that it's recording but there's no sound. but when i use their demo sound or instrument, it works. hmmm..,, so now i guess i have to study more on this software. but still im excited coz i know this one really good! hehehe!!
  • tim
    i forgot!--- thanks for the reply! are you a dj? or in a band? coz im planning to use this software more on recording instruments.do you think it'll work?? or do i have to have a other software like reason--??
  • Martin Delaney
    Hi Tim and Alex, You're raising a lot of questions there! First off, if you're having any serial number problems with your Live upgrade, email [email protected] - they will make sure you get what you need. And getting no sound when recording? I'm not clear - is it recording the audio to your drive? Can you see the waveforms? Or it could be a monitoring problem - have you configured your audio inputs and outputs in Live's preferences? Believe it or not, Live is very simple to use at a basic level. I've taught it to schoolkids and professional musicians alike...but it's a lot faster to learn with somebody to show you. That's where the 'Ableton Live 101' DVD available from this website should come in :-) And Reason - that won't help with recording live instruments; it doesn't record audio at all! If either of you want more specific info, let me know!
  • Alex83pearl
    I'm in a 2 headed band, I mean my drummer who's worring about making it groove(and that's a lot..), and me, who switches between fretless bass, electric violon, keyboard and programation on Ableton Live & Reason. In actuality we play Funk, Electro, Acid Jazz, so we mingle both acoustic instruments & some kind of dj stuff. Live is a great software linkin' all together, providing huge possibilities with plugins & Rewired softwares such as Reason... Ableton Live is able to record instruments,and as Martin said, Reason doesn't record audio. It's a MIDI software, for my part I consider Reason as a big plugin..
  • tim
    sir martin, so, do i have to get a plug in for ableton? or just by itself it'll work? yes i can see waveforms but when i play it back-- there's no sound at all. i've checked my audio i/O, everythings ON. (im using m-audio's blackbox and axiom25) i guess your right i need someone who will show me how to do it step by step. i'm xcited to see the video, but i have to wait coz i've got the dvd. can i use garageband to ableton or ableton to garage? thank you sir, tim
  • tim
    alex, thanks man! im a drummer too. the last band that im in was a funk band. now im playing jungle drumNbass. and planning to do some RnB stuff. i see your from france--man i wanna go there!
  • Alex83pearl
    And you know what? I live at the very south, at 5mn from the sea... I must confess there's no better place to have inspiration... But the musical activity isn't extremely active, for exemple, if u want to find a jazz club, you'll be searching for a while.. You should check [url]http://www.electrodeluxe.com/[/url], that's a french band with a world class drummer; he's highly demanded for Jungle or Funk sessions.. Anyway, why will you go in France?
  • tim
    i've been wanting to go to europe ever since. i dont know.. hey i just downloaded the ableton live 6.0.3, and i tried my axiom-- the knobs on it was working--but still there's no sound. i dont know what to do -- do u have the ableton 101?? was it good?
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: