Ask.Video
Forums
  • coFane
    "Macro instrument" vs "Device Rack" Is there
    Every device rack loads with "macro controls" right? So are macros and device racks the same thing? thanks for any help!
  • JamieInNC
    Re: "Macro instrument" v...
    Hey co, In a way, they are the same thing, since loading any kind of rack (instrument, drum, or effect) automatically includes macros. You threw me for a loop for a moment because you mentioned a "macro instrument." I'm not sure where you saw that term, but I loaded Live immediately to see if there was such a thing. There isn't. I have found that whenever you open any kind of instrument or audio file, it is always a good idea to get into the habit of opening the appropriate rack first, and then insert your material. This enables you to assign macros right away, instead of working with a sound or audio clip for a while and then deciding you want macros after an hour's work! This is especially true if you have the APC40 or a compatible controller that can have the macros mapped to physical knobs or sliders. If you forget to load a rack first, you can always save your work as a preset or sample clip, and then load it onto another track with a rack ready to go. It's just that having macros on every single track in your arrangement is really, in my mind, one of the greatest strengths in using live as a performance tool. I think I might have mentioned in another post that macros and follow actions are your best friends. They really are! And setting the parameters of each macro in the browser window is so insanely easy, my father could do it, and he hasn't a musical bone in his body! Hah! Anyway, one macro knob can handle as many different control parameters as you wish. I find that simply amazing. I'm going to try something for a second. I'll post my results in a few... Jamie
  • JamieInNC
    Ok co, Try this. Go to your browser on the left, and find the audio file by this path: samples>loops>cycling 74>unnatural rhythms>slap_120bpm.aif. Now click on that and drag it into the session window. At the bottom add a blank audio effect rack from your browser. Open the macro controls on the rack and proceed to insert corpus, auto filter, and reverb, in that order from left to right inside the rack. Set the corpus instrument on "pipe" in the menu that has beam in the box at the top. From there, everything else will be set with macros. To do this, all you need to do is click on the "map mode" button over on the left side above the actual macro buttons. All mappable parameters will turn purple. Now just click on the following parameters within each insert and map them individually to macro 1. So you'll click on a control, then click "map" under the macro 1 button, ok? Corpus: Power button... min 1, max 0 Decay... Min 2.3s, max 316 ms Radius... min 27%, max 84% Lfo rate... Min 4, max 10 Lfo amount... Min 0% max 40% dry/wet... Min 0% max 100% Auto filter: Power button... Min 1 max 0 Frequency... 40 hz, max 6.5 kHz. Rersonance...min 0.70' max 1.93 Reverb: Power button. Min 1 max 0 In filter frequency... Min 900 Hz, max 18 kHz Dry/wet...min 0%, max 100%
  • JamieInNC
    The settings for min and max are the numbers you set inside the browser window that opens on the left when in map mode. The interesting thing about the power button is that when you set the minimum to 1 and the max to 0, this effectively turns the device on when the macro is turned from off to any number from 1 to 127. Isn't that great? Try these out, and then map the macro itself to a knob on your controller. To do this, simply hit the "midi" button up near your CPU percentage meter. Mappable parameters will again turn purple. Simply click your macro button 1, and immediately twist the desired knob on your controller. Suddenly you are controlling 12 parameters on three different devices with one simple knob. Let me know how it worked out! I think it sounds neat... Jamie
  • coFane
    I just want you to know that I thikn about doing the process you've laid out every day! Live Suite should finally get to my front porch tomorrow sometime. Also I ordered the Akai APC 40. What can I say, you've inspired me! Just thought I'd let you know why I haven't responded yet. Once Live Suite is here I will for sure though! I appreciate your help and advice! Are there any other good forums or tutorial sites for ableton? So far I have this forum and the official Ableton forum and that's it.
  • JamieInNC
    Sounds great, coFane! Let us all know how it goes when everything is up and running! Jamie
  • coFane
    Hey Jamie... I'm installing Suite 8 right now. I'm having a hard time understanding what Live Packs are exactly. Also, are they all supposed to reside in the same spot in the file browser once they've been installed? Looks like it will take a while to install all this content :)
  • coFane
    Hey, sorry. One more question :) Since you are the proud owner of an APC 40 (I am too as of today). I'm noticing 2 footswitch inputs. What type of foot switches go in here and for what purpose? I ask because I'm very interested in mapping various ableton functions to a footswitch (for triggering and ending clips that I'm recording in real-time and for controlling Live's Looper). If I could hook a pedal(s) into my APC40 to achieve this it would probably be the best thing ever!! I just don't know if that is possible at this point. Thanks my friend. And, excuse me for harrasing you today. I promise I'll lay off once this is all downloaded and setup :)
  • JamieInNC
    Haha! Yes, the wonders of the live pack. Very strange concept coming from Logic, but honestly, the Live pack is exactly why you bought Ableton in the first place. They end up being the heart of your performance work. However, the live packs that you install, like the suite, loops, samples, etc., can be deleted once you have individually opened them and installed the raw files. I actually got rid of mine today that were hanging out in the browser window and it freed up 10 GB of space!!! As far as the foot pedals, anything that is on/off will work, so looks like you're on your way! And you didn't harass me at all. Actually it seems like you and I are the most excited about our Ableton rigs! Jamie
  • coFane
    oh, okay... cool! Is it normal for certain drum racks to not have the full 12 samples loaded? For example, check out Kit-707 Studio & Kit-707 Smasher both have certain samples in there that are empty... Is it the same on your machine? I just want to make sure everything has been downloaded and stored correctly. I've finished all the download instructions.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: