Ask.Video
Forums
  • Student469162
    Re: Equalizer
    I have chose the first dot (light brown it was?), you see it's activated as numerical display stays all the same colour as dot is. But if I move a trackpad cursor from the EQ display, the boost is changing automatically to blue. Why is that? Is the blue colour default colour in EQ display? Or what that blue means? https://youtu.be/bgGFB2qFoAI
  • Joe A
    Yes, the blue color is the default -- you'll only see the color that matches the color of that particular band [center-frequency dot] while you're hovering over it or have selected it or are adjusting it.
  • Student469162
    OK. But you see on another video, if I move a cut (the dot) to the right side, the sound changes to very quiet. Why is that? Is it an effect of EQ, or what? And on the same video, I have activated and used successfully the first dot and it was bright, but suddenly it turned pale and the shaded area turned blue (by itself, I did nothing) and I couldn't move that pale dot anymore. I understand pale is inactivated, but why the dot turns inactivated from nothing... ? https://youtu.be/rOeDrqP8WOg
  • Joe A
    You're cutting with the lowest EQ band which is a low-frequency shelf, which cuts/removes everything below the corner frequency, so when you drag that corner frequency to the right you're cutting out everything below it, which encompasses all frequencies -- the entire sound. As to why you can't re-select that band, I've noticed that GarageBand has quite a few graphic bugs -- I've seen the dots & colors disappear for no reason -- maybe not being able to grab a dot sometimes is another bug. I guess you could try switching from GarageBand to the Finder and back again -- that seemed to [temporarily] fix a similar graphic bug here..
  • Student469162
    If you say amp designer is mainly meant for guitars, do you mean only electric guitar or any kind of guitars?
  • Joe A
    Amp Designer is intended mainly for electric guitars, but of course sometimes other instruments are run through a guitar amp as well, like electric pianos. But the main application for Amp Designer would be to run a direct-recorded electric guitar track through it [a guitar track that's recorded by plugging the electric guitar straight into the interface]. Amp Designer would take the place of a real amp, which is normally an important part of an electric guitar sound. This seems to getting off-topic for this thread, which is entitled Equalizer..
  • Student469162
    Well, now I have learnt how to use parametric eq. But you say, bands 2 and 7 are shelving (boost or cut everything above or below the chosen frequency). What that means? What could be everything but chosen frequency? All other tracks of the project.. ?
  • Joe A
    In a shelving EQ 'everything' means all frequencies above or below the chosen frequency are boosted or cut [as opposed to a regular peak-dip/bellcurve EQ band where only frequencies right around the chosen frequency are boost or cut]. The graphic display indicates the range of frequencies that are being affected by that band.
  • Student469162
    I don't understand. I activated band 2 orange dot, got a frequency (do you call it as chosen frequency), then moved dot up and down not touching that frequency, nothing happened. And nothing was seen below or above that frequency, too. Must I see "everything" above or below the chosen frequency? If there's only one frequency, is it normal (then I have nothing to boost or cut)? What means chosen frequency at all? How do I know, the frequency is chosen, or not? Video is enclosed. https://youtu.be/jXUOTf5MhlY
  • Joe A
    You say 'nothing was seen above or below that frequency' but I see a boost & cut of all frequencies below the frequency [dot] you're dragging up & down -- all the frequencies in the orange area are being boosted or cut as you drag up & down. Now you probably didn't hear any difference because there's no audio in that electric piano signal down in that range [you can see that from the spectrum display], but the EQ is still boosting the lower frequencies, there's just nothing there to be affected -- if you want to test a boost or cut of low frequencies, you'd have to apply the EQ to a signal that has lower notes in that range to clearly hear a difference in tone. Btw, with a midrange [peak & dip] EQ band what you referred to as the 'chosen' frequency is properly called the Center Frequency; with a shelving EQ band the 'chosen frequency' is properly called the Corner Frequency.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: