Ask.Video
Forums
  • Allen Hanford
    Couple of GB Basic questions
    So..... I'm taking song writing lessons and have been confronted with the fact that there's some pretty basic stuff I don't know. Number one is: How do I download new sounds? All I see are loops, which I don't need. I need new drum sounds for sequencing, as well as new sounds for recording myself playing guitar and bass. The other is what's the best way to scrub hum out of a track? I guess I could export to mp3, clean it in audacity and re-import, but is there something simpler?
  • Joe A
    Re: Couple of GB Basic questions
    Hi - There are two ways to get new sounds for GB.. - First, if you haven't already installed the entire GarageBand instrument library (only the Essential Instruments are installed by default), go to GarageBand menu > Sound Library > Download All Available Sounds. - You can purchase third-party instruments (and effects) in the AU (AudioUnit) format that will work in GB (once purchased and installed, they can be inserted on a track down in the Smart Controls panel). As far as hum removal, there are companies that sell audio repair plug-ins (again, make sure they're in the AU format). There are plug-ins/bundles from iZotope, Adobe, and Antares, among others, however AFAIK none of them are free.. Suggestion: If you continue to export to Audacity to de-hum, don't export as MP3, that compromises sound quality -- export/re-import as WAV, that will preserve full sound quality.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: