Ask.Video
Forums
  • Student484060
    Philharmonic in GarageBand
    Hi all. I'm new to GarageBand and would like to learn how to create a philharmonic orchestra (GB for Mac), or learn how to create such melodies. I'm not a composer but have been dealing with these tunes I'd like to make (you know, a muse somewhere...) I've researched with no success. Are there any discussion, forum or even courses I may consider in order to do so? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! Bernardo
  • Joe A
    Re: Philharmonic in GarageBand
    Hi Bernardo - If you install the full GarageBand library [GarageBand menu > Sound Library > Download All Available Sounds] you should find most of the orchestral instruments in the Library pane [Orchestral > Brass, Strings, Woodwinds, Percussion]. These should be fine for getting started -- later more sophisticated third-party AU orchestral libraries could eventually be purchased and installed.. Here are some links to videos that discuss orchestral composition, orchestration, and creating a virtual orchestra via software instruments. They're not specifically about GarageBand but could serve as an introduction to the concepts and techniques of orchestral writing and virtual orchestration. These courses cover both orchestral instrument background and more specific MIDI Orchestra topics -- they may be a bit advanced depending on your experience in general with music writing/playing and MIDI/DAW programs: https://www.macprovideo.com/library/topic/orchestration?afid=E470KLQ7r9 AFAICT those courses all assume basic musical knowledge. If you need material on formal music theory, here are courses on that, particularly the ones on Music Theory for DAW Musicians: https://www.macprovideo.com/library/topic/musictheory?afid=E470KLQ7r9 Again, none of these orchestra-related courses are specific to GarageBand -- serious orchestral work is done in high-end DAWs -- but maybe you can get some familiarity with the process and techniques of virtual orchestration, start experimenting in GB, and then work your way up from there..
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: