Ask.Video
Forums
  • Joe A
    Re: Help with volume
    I didn't say to raise the tracks up to +12 or +20, I said to LOWER the levels of all the tracks to around -12 [MINUS 12] or -20 [MINUS 20].. I'm sure you've noticed that the volume numbers for the tracks are either positive or negative -- a level setting of -6dB is 12dB lower than a level setting of +6dB. The point is that you need to lower the level of all the tracks, so you can raise the level of the piano track to the level you need. For example, let's say you have a song with three tracks -- a Cello, whose volume is set to +2, another instrument whose volume is set to +1, and the piano, whose volume you've pushed up to the maximum of +6 but still need more level. What you must do is lower the levels of all the tracks by the same amount, So, for example.. - Lower the level of the Cello from +2 down to -10 [12 dB lower] - Lower the level of the other instrument from +1 down to -11 [12dB lower] - Lower the level of the piano from +6 down to -6 [12dB lower] - Raise the listening level of your interface/speakers to compensate for the drop in overall playback volume Now your mix should sound exactly the same, but since the piano is now set to -6dB you'll be able to increase the level of the piano, since it's no longer maxed out. A complication is that if you have automation on then to make those adjustments you'd have to drag the automation line[s] rather than move the volume slider[s]. Are you changing the volume of some tracks at different parts of the song? If not [if the automation line is just a single straight line], I would recommend that you turn off automation on all tracks, set the levels with the volume sliders for each track, and then make the adjustments as I described in the example above.
  • Student492426
    This is still all very new to me. if I am doing this right, to turn off automation, it is by clicking 'show automation' and then press the button to the right of the volume of each track. So far, I did exactly what you said and lowered each track by 12db proportionally. the only trouble I have now is that I forgot to lower one track, when I did all of them, and now the volume of it is too low and its at the highest. I don't know how to fix that and make the sound of it higher. Thanks for all the help again Joe, it is much appreciated.
  • Student492426
    Joe
    Joe, never mind, I made a duplicate track and recorded it again, in the parts of the track I left out. thanks again.
  • Joe A
    Yes, to turn off automation you'd press the automation on/off button [ the _/– symbol more or less ] so it turns from blue to grey. I suspect you must be doing something other than or in addition to what I assume you're doing.. Are these MIDI tracks or Audio tracks? Or a mix of both? If you have multiple Audio tracks, are the waveforms drastically different sizes? If there's a MIDI track, did you play the part very quietly, which could cause the track to be unusually low in level, regardless of the track volume setting? It's hard to suss it out without being there to see exactly what you're doing..
  • Joe A
    Ah, I just saw your last post. Ok, so it sounds like you've got it working now..? Good!
  • Student492426
    Slowly slowly I am getting there. And btw, I am not familiar with the technical language that goes along with this stuff. In the beginning it was like a mountain, and it still is, but I never give up or quit. I finished more or less my first recording of a composition, with a lot of hard work, now all I have to do is the sequencing and the mastering. thanks so much Joe for all your help.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: