Ask.Video
Forums
  • Joe A
    Re: About automation
    Hi - Ok, if Automation is off and when you turn it on and Play the level changes, then there's already Automation on that track. You'll want to delete it, restore the correct level for the track [by hand, with the Volume slider], and then enable Automation and LEAVE IT ON. To delete the existing Automation: - First, take note of the correct level for the track [the position of Volume slider that is 'the way it should be'] -- I assume you're doing Volume Automation - Then turn on Automation, select the entire line -- click with the mouse in the track lane and draw a box around the entire Automation line - When you select the Automation the line should change from yellow to white - Hit Delete [the Delete key] - This should remove any existing Automation in the track - Restore the correct volume for the track [that you took note of before] manually with the Volume slider - Now you can add level changes whenever they're needed throughout the song [I assume you know how to draw Automation in GB] Note: Once you start using Automation it's normally left ON.
  • Joe A
    With no Automation, the level of the track will be the level of the Volume slider -- no change. That's why I said to take note of the preferred Volume level before deleting Automation, and then reset the track to that Volume by hand. But if you have Automation changes in the track and you don't want to lose those changes, then don't delete all the Automation, just edit it to get the levels where you want them at different places in the song. Q: Also, would deleting all the automation, that is silent on playback, influence the volume at all? When Automation is in use it's always active. I don't understand 'automation, that is silent on playback'..? If you want to use Automation, the Automation is in control and all level changes must be made via the Automation line. Also I agree, Automation should only be used as the last step at the very end of a mix, not while you're still recording and editing..
  • Joe A
    Yes, that would work fine. That option is intended for tracks where there are many different types of automation, to save you from having to display them and delete them one by one. But if it's easier for you than doing it graphically, then by all means use it.
  • Joe A
    AFAICT, there's no way to numerically enter automation node values, you just have to drag. But if you hold down the Control key while you drag the value of a point, it should move it finer increments.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: