Ask.Video
Forums
  • Student469162
    Re: Regions
    If I create a project and use a classic clean there, and then change my mind and want all the melody still in stainway piano, then I need to activate all the regions of classic clean and copy them to the stainway piano? And delete classic clean track? And copying is holding down alt key and drag all the stuff to the piano? How do you change best instrument for your song? I mean, how do you start putting the regions to the right instrument? Do you find right instrument (which best for the project) at once or you need to compare/change them? How do you compare/change the instruments?
  • Joe A
    If you want to change Instruments on a track with already-recorded Regions, you don't have to do anything with the Regions, you just open the Library and choose the new Instrument -- the existing Region(s) will then play that new Instrument. Just keep in mind that a musical part played with one Instrument may not always sound as good with another Instrument -- sometimes it will sound fine, but other time times it may not be a good match, depending on the particular Instruments and your performance. There is no "best instrument for your song" -- you have to decide what Instrument(s) will work best, by auditioning/playing them.
  • Student469162
    I created the notes on the piano roll. The region appeared by itself with a first note both to piano roll (the length is between 1-2), and on timeline, also. If i create a notes on a piano roll, then I don't need to create an empty region on timeline first? Or how it works? Does the region has its default length (as on timeline is 1-2)?
  • Student469162
    The default length on timeline is 1, 5 and it's definitely too small. 1-2 on piano roll is OK.
  • Joe A
    When I create a new blank Region here the default length seems to be 1 bar. Likewise, if I add a a note to a blank Instrument track (in the Piano Roll), a new 1-bar Region is automatically created, and if I add a note after the end of that Region, the Region length is automatically extended. You can always change the length of a Region once it's been created by dragging on the lower right edge.
  • Student469162
    I changed the length of a region by dragging it on the edge, but got this rugged one as shows video on piano roll post. Normally I got plain region with dragging. I have a video here, too. I tried to use midi keyboard. Not matter am I using it or not, in both cases when I hit a record button, the playhead jumps back. But I need to record from position to where I placed the playhead. Why is that? You see active is an arrow back (where are stop, record etc), is it a problem? https://youtu.be/TzxNJv15rQ8
  • Joe A
    The playback cursor jumps back because you have a Count-in enabled (the purple button up top with the 1234 label). I assume you hear a metronome click counting in in before GB reaches the bar where recording will begin -- that's so you can hear what went before and come in musically at the right place and in the right tempo.
  • Student469162
    You are right. If I added a note after the end of the region, the region extended by itself. Does it mean the region will be extend for ever? But I have seen multiple regions on the line. How can I cut off the extension and get a new region?
  • Joe A
    If you want to add notes to a new *separate* Region in a track after an existing Region, there are two ways you could do that: 1. In the Tracks area, right-click in the blank space after the existing Region and choose "Create Empty MIDI Region", and *then* add notes to that new Region. 2. If you've already added notes to the end of an existing Region and GB extended that existing Region to include the new notes but you'd rather those new notes were part of a new separate Region, then you could select the Region in the Tracks area, position the playback cursor at the bar where the added notes start, and hit Command-T to separate that added section of the extended Region, turning that extended section into a new separate Region with the newly added notes.
  • Student469162
    I don't understand. Please read both 15th april posts. Playhead jumped back because a count in was enabled. But that count in is a metronome, isn't? So how can I record with midi keyboard with certain position playhead and enabled count-in (a metronome with other words), if with enabled metronome I can't record with my wanted playhead position.. ?? Or with other words, how to record from there where I want (with selected playhead position), if a count-in (a metronome) is enabled.. ?
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: