Ask.Video
Forums
  • Student469162
    Re: Regions
    OK. So I called track height a longer region. For what that (the zoom) is good?
  • Joe A
    It seems GarageBand automatically adjusts the height of the tracks to fill the space -- so when you closed the Edit pane at the bottom, GB made the track lanes taller to fill the empty space. Other DAWs let you manually adjust track lane height, but apparently GB only does it automatically -- at least here on my system.. Of course zooming in can be helpful if you're editing Regions and you need to see Region content more clearly..
  • Student469162
    I didn't close the edit pane at the bottom, I have no idea how to do it. All I did, I followed by your words - I copied a pitch corrected region on the same track where pitch correction is, and then did a double-click on this new copied region.. So I hoped to set a transpose slider for the copy to a couple of notes up and down ( what ever it means), but instead of I got that zoom... Anything wrong.. ? How else can I set a transpose slider for the copy to a couple of notes up and down? As by your directions I got a zoom...
  • Joe A
    You did close the Edit pane, that's what double-clicking a Region does -- it opens the Edit pane, and if the Edit pane is already open then it closes it, and when you close it the Track heights may automatically zoom in vertically to fill the space. The suggestion to double-click a Region to open the Edit pane was made in a different thread, and in that thread I posted the screenshot below, showing the Transpose slider. But for that slider to be visible you have to have the Flex display enabled, with the small Flex button at the upper left of the Edit pane, and the Region tab selected in the Edit pane -- when you turn that button on, you may have to de-select and re-select the Region, but then the Transpose slider will be visible. But that thread was discussing pitch editing on Audio tracks, so that suggestion (and the screenshot below) is relevant to an Audio track. The whole point of trying the Transpose feature was to test to see if you had correctly enabled pitch editing on an Audio track, so playing around with it on the Instrument tracks in your last video in this thread is pointless for that purpose. Mixing up the topics in the two different threads seems to be confusing things.. This thread has been about Region editing, the other thread was about pitch editing (like pitch correction and Transposition) on Audio tracks. If you want to follow up on the Audio track Transpose topic please post in that thread going forward..
  • Student469162
    1. Well, you see multiple regions in classic electric piano, one of them is between bars 7 - 11. On the piano roll, can be read that 3 notes are selected and those are from that region, last 3 ones in bars 9 - 11. Why, if I chosed a region on piano roll, it shows me notes in the middle of the regions, but not starts to show (select) the notes just from the beginning, from the first bar (first region between 1 - 5 bars) ? As you see, the region 7 - 11 isn't selected, playhead is in the beginning, but the piano roll selected notes of the middle of the regions. Why that happens? Is it normal? 2. How do you call different regions? Like me here, region 1 -5, region 7 - 11 (by the numbers of bars)... ? https://youtu.be/-rciRl6exqY
  • Joe A
    1. I can only assume you must have scrolled to that section in the Piano Roll and selected those notes. Here GB usually centers the Piano Roll around the Track area cursor position, unless you scroll away from that location manually. 2. I don't know what you mean by "call different regions", but to get the Piano Roll to display a selected Region it seems like sometimes you have to position the playback cursor by that Region in the Tracks area, or manually scroll to it in the Piano Roll. The display link between the Tracks area, selected Region[s], and what the Piano Roll displays seems to me to be a bit inconsistent, so I guess you'll just have to position the Piano Roll by hand when necessary, as described above..
  • Student469162
    You write I can activate regions and then join them. Is it only from left to right, I mean, among one track? I have 2 different vocal tracks and I activated and tried to join regions from up to down ( it means 1 track is upper and another vocal track is on the down position). I got the warning Mixdown of the audio regions. What that means? If we are talking about cmd j, joining the regions, is it only between the regions among of one track or can we join together regions of different tracks, too.. ?
  • Joe A
    If you Join two Regions that are side by side GB just creates a new longer Region that references the same audio files. But if you Join two Regions on different tracks, or two Regions that reference two different audio files, then GB has to create a new audio file by mixing those original audio files together, which is what that popup message is telling you, and that's fine. If you Join two Regions on different tracks the resulting single Region will of course be placed on only one of those tracks, so if the two tracks had different effects inserted the result might sound different.
  • Student469162
    When I need to mix regions of different tracks? Any special music style.. ?
  • Joe A
    You don't usually need to merge Regions on different tracks, but GarageBand lets you do it if you did. Maybe the different tracks have different takes of what will ultimately be the same part, and you want to combine them; or maybe the two tracks are a left-hand and a right-hand piano part that you couldn't play two-handed, so you played them in one at a time, and then you wanted to combine them into one Region. The point is, if it turns out that in the course of working on music you want to merge Regions on different tracks, then you can do it -- it's not a technique associated with a musical style, just something you might want to do depending on your own personal workflow..
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: