Ask.Video
Forums
  • Student491129
    How to remove high frequency shrieks
    I've been using the RX series. There is a piece of film music I'm restoring that had been pulled from the mixed soundtrack of a film. I've been successful in removing footsteps and other noises. I've had to use the graphic equalizer in Soundforge to bring the music out (RX is woefully missing a useful 20 band equalizer, which it needs terribly). What I ended up with is very good. The problem is that in one small part of the music there were some striations - at least in one tiny spot - with an embedded high frequency "shriek" that I can't remove without destroying that part of the music. What's also weird - and is something unbelievable - is that I removed the noise previously in an earlier version. This was by pulling a bit from another area and pasting it over. After a couple of hours - and on its own! - it suddenly reappeared again in a slightly different spot. It's as if it bleeded in from somewhere. But it really is embedded and nothing I know takes it out. There are no pastes available for that part of the music. The thing is I'm using RX9 and there is nothing I know that works. I tried "De-Bleed" but I can't seem to make it apply. This is a bit of music where a simple pair of violins are playing alone in high register. If anyone knows the answer I'd appreciate it. I've had to take out what seemed like bird shrieks and bells in the violin music. Now in the one section it's just the violin "shrieks" in the one tiny spot. Playing it in a loop and trying anything in the software that works to remove it is enough to make a person go nuts.
  • Joe A
    Re: How to remove high frequency shrieks
    Hi - What you're describing sounds like something that could be addressed by the Spectral Repair module in RX. If it's an isolated sound separate from the main audio signal then hopefully it would be visible to some degree in the Spectrogram display, and you could then try using one of the drawing tools (like the lasso tool) to draw it out, letting the module interpolate the surrounding audio to fill in the gap. Like some of the other de-noising options, De-bleed requires audio of the unwanted sound in isolation to compare with the audio where it's embedded, but if the sound can be seen in Spectral Repair then you have a good chance of being able to remove it, or at least minimize it to some degree. That said, how clearly the sound may be visualized will depend on the specific sound, and using Spectral Repair may involve a fair bit of trial-and-error with both the drawing (to isolate the sound) and the module settings (to cover the gap), but I've been able to use it with some degree of success on unwanted noises like squeaks and a siren in the distance, so it should be worth a try..
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: