Ask.Video
Forums
  • Student475803
    Totally confused. Logic X 10.6.5
    Hi. I'm running a Mackie Pro FX22 V3 with USB into my DAW, Logic X. So, I have, any drum track. I go to record an acoustic guitar and the timing to the drums is way off from what I played. No matter if I'm using a mic or direct in. I turned latency down to 32. Tried different settings but nothing seems to help. Arrrgh!
  • Joe A
    Re: Totally confused. Logic X 10.6.5
    I guess maybe it could conceivably be related to plug-in latency and/or Automatic Plug-in Latency Compensation.. - If you have high-latency plug-ins on the track you're recording [plug-ins that cause a lot of latency], you could enable Low-Latency mode, which will automatically disable them when recording to keep the timing accurate - If you have high-latency plug-ins on the Master LR Output [like Multipressor, Adaptive Limiter, etc], you should de-instantiate them (not just bypass them) while recording. - If you have high-latency plug-ins in use anywhere in the mixer, then Automatic Plug-in Latency Compensation should be enabled, in Preferences > Audio > General > Plug-in Latency. However, if it *is* enabled, when you're recording it should be set to "Audio & Software Instrument Tracks", *not* "All". In the past Logic's docs have warned that having this set to "All" while recording could result in inaccurate timing with newly recorded tracks -- perhaps this is still the case.. Latency issues may or may not be related to your timing issues, but these suggestions might be worth trying..
  • Student475803
    It appears to be a setting in Logic Pro. I bypassed the input mixer and went to direct in with a mic. The tempo is different on a audio recorded track. How do I keep the same tempo on the new audio track as the drum track?
  • Joe A
    I'm sorry, but this is all very unclear.. - You said "It [?] appears to be a setting in Logic Pro" -- what setting are you referring to? Did you check the settings I mentioned? - You said "I bypassed the input mixer"..? Logic doesn't have an "input mixer" -- are you maybe referring to a software utility that came with the interface? - Logic doesn't allow for different Tempos on different tracks -- if an audio track is playing at a different speed than an Instrument track, maybe the audio file is playing at the wrong sample rate, but I'm not sure how that could have happened, based on your description of what you're doing.. Just how far off is the timing -- are we talking about performance variation? A few milliseconds [musical" feel"]? Or a much greater deviation? If the audio you're monitoring while recording is subject to significant latency, then that could possibly result in late timing, but that gets back to my previous suggestions on eliminating plug-in latency..
  • Student475803
    Sorry for the confusion. I've been trying a lot of different things. What I came to realize is this...When I start an audio recording, I noticed it was starting the recording early. For example, I have a basic Bluebird beat recorded. I set up an audio track, hit record, wait for the count-in, and count into the microphone after count-in and record....1, 2, 3, 4, 1, ,2, 3, 4.... Upon playback, The very first "1" I say is cut off by about half the voice. Then, the rest stays pretty much in time but because it started the recording early, everything is slightly ahead of the beat. If I move the region to the right by about an eighth of a measure, It all falls into place, BUT, it's still cutting off that first note. Tried many settings. Still not sure what's causing it.
  • Joe A
    Assuming you've determined that you're not just rushing your performance timing, here are two more things you might want to check.. - If you haven't already, try your timing test in a fresh Project - Check the the "Delay" setting in the Region Partbox in the Inspector -- when making settings there it's easy to accidentally set a value when there's no Region selected [when it says "Region: Audio Defaults"], and that will then apply that setting to all subsequently recorded Regions; if you accidentally had a negative Delay setting dialed up it there it might advance the playback timing of every new Region, which I guess could potentially result in the timing issue you've described..
  • Student475803
    Yeah. I've tried multiple fresh projects. Delay is set to 0 ticks. What about the flex and follow setting? That's at off as well
  • Joe A
    Yes, I assumed you weren't using any Flex functions that would intentionally quantize or change timing [and which could easily quantize to the wrong gridline], including any Quantize settings in that Default region Partbox.. Off the top of my head I can't think of anything else, other than to try recording without the interface [with the built-in mic], to see if the issue is specific to the interface..
  • Student475803
    I appreciate the help, Joe. I'm at an impasse. I have tried everything I can think of. I took a microphone and plugged it directly into the line input of my computer, which is a Mac mini, 8 gb of ram. Running Mac OS Catalina, ver 10.5.7. It still did the same thing, which in a nutshell, is audio recordings are not keeping time with the metronome or any pre-recorded drum beats. Where do I go from here? Contact Apple support, I'm assuming? I know what I'm doing with the DAW. I learned on Logic 9 on a different computer and didn't have this issue. It doesn't matter what input I'm using for the interface, the USB port, direct in, etc.. I just don't know what else to try...I'm actually losing sleep over this! LOL
  • Joe A
    Other than trying with a different DAW and/or a different interface [to try and pinpoint the problem] -- which may not be available -- a call to Apple might be in order at this point -- they can do what we can't do here, have you share your computer/screen so they can troubleshoot more directly.. Let us know if you do come up with a solution, or if you do have a chance to try with different sw/hw..
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: