Ask.Video
Forums
  • ben37
    Sample Preview in the Mac Finder Window - Only Some Samples Sound
    Hi there. Not specifically logic related, didn't know where to post. Some samples do not sound in the "preview" section of the finder window. If I load them into logic quick sampler, there they are and they play fine. ALSO if I double click the sample in the finder window to open it via the application I have specified to open audio files (Itunes), they play fine. When I specify quicktime as the default app hey do NOT sound, interestingly. The file type (.wav, .aif, etc) doesn't seem to make a difference. Some of each type sound, some don't. I have full sample packs of .wavs where they all preview, and full packs of .wavs where none preview. Anyone know what might account for certain samples "previewing" normally and others refusing to sound? Thanks
  • Joe A
    Re: Sample Preview in the Mac Finder Window - Only Some Samples Sound
    Hi Ben - I assume you're talking about previewing audio with the Spacebar shortcut in the Finder..? I haven't run into this myself, though apparently others have, in various different ways. I do consistently run into a quirk where a double-clicked audiofile plays fine via iTunes, but if I change the default app to QuickTime, it gives me grief, where I have to re-authorize it to play -- sometimes even if it's a file I created myself just moments ago. I guess it could be some kind of permissions thing, maybe based on some of the new, more aggressive sandboxing protections put in place in Mojave and Catalina..? Maybe have a look at the file permissions (via Get Info) and see if there's anything unusual or consistent about the ones that won't preview. You could always try some of the usual troubleshooting approaches [hard shutdown/restart, test as different user, etc], but if it only happens intermittently and only with some audiofiles and not others, I don't know how conclusive that's going to be. Other that that, all I can suggest is to try to determine if there is some logic to it [source of files, length of files, sample rate, mono/stereo, etc] -- maybe there'll turn out to be some commonality that's not immediately apparent. If you do eventually come up with a definite answer, please let us know -- intermittent macOS weirdness is always hard to sort out..
  • ben37
    Thanks for the ideas! I'll do some digging. Anything I find out I'll be sure to post.
  • ben37
    For a while I thought I'd isolated it: Stereo samples play, Mono samples do not. This rule has exceptions though, despite being true about 90 percent of the time. Looking at the Get Info for each sample, I do not see any clear pattern. Bizarre For example, I recently downloaded Reverb's free Drum Machines samples. Most play fine, but maybe 30 percent or so just don't play. All play once they're in a sampler.
  • Joe A
    Hi Ben - Very strange. Just out of curiosity, after you open and play them in a sampler, do they preview then back in the Finder? And what would happen if you export them from the sampler -- no changes, just the same audio but as a new file created by the sampler on your own system -- if a new file of the the same audio previews then, it might indicate that the preview function is reading something in the file headers of the original versions of the problem samples that it doesn't like or doesn't know what to make of..
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: