Ask.Video
Forums
  • Student472048
    Midi Slave Thru not reading synths Arpeggiator data
    I am using Logic with a Prophet Rev2. I have set it up to send midi data and midi clock data to my prophet so that i can sync up the song bpm and have it play the arpeggiator on 32nd notes in time to the drums I've programmed in logic. I have the rev2 set as slave, or slave thru, neither works. It is reading the BPM correctly but it is not reading the Rev's arp data where I have set it to play 32nd notes. It is playing the correct BPM but reading the division at half note. Any idea how to get it to take in the midi clock data from Logic but also trigger the correct division of note as implied within the Prophet? Thanks for any insight!
  • Joe A
    Re: Midi Slave Thru not reading synths Arpeggiator data
    Hi - Apparently there's a "Divide" parameter that "sets the note value for each sequencer/arpeggiator step relative to the BPM" (according to the manual, p.53). I don't have a Prophet Rev2 to test it with but it sounds like that could potentially have something to do with what you're experiencing (if it's set on BPM/2 instead of just BPM?)..
  • Student472048
    Yes that's correct, and precisely what I'm referring to. The divide on the Prophet Rev2 is set to 32nd notes, but somehow Logic is implementing it as half notes. So Logic is controlling that aspect as well, not just the BPM. I'm not sure how to get Logic to not control that part, or to get it to control it in the way I want to. I believe I have it set up correctly on the receiving end of the Prophet. Thanks for your swift response..!
  • Joe A
    Hmm.. I don't see any options in Logic's Sync Preferences or Project Settings that would seem to be able to affect that, so if it were a function of Logic's MIDI Clock output there don't seem to be any adjustments that would address that (I guess you could experiment with the few Clock mode settings..?). But since the arpeggiator's tempo division is apparently happening inside the Prophet I still think it'd be more likely that the solution would be there. I'm just guessing here, but maybe you could try disabling external sync, setting the Divide value, and then enabling it..? Or if that's how you set it up, maybe try the opposite -- enable external sync and then set the Divide value..? If you have another DAW or device that outputs MIDI Clock, I guess the next troubleshooting step would be to see if the Prophet's clock-divided arpeggiator works as intended slaving to that. If it does, then it's more likely a Logic issue; if it doesn't than most likely a Prophet issue.. And of course, power-cycling both the computer and the Prophet should be tried to see if its just a one-off glitch..
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: