Forums
This thread relates to...
MainStage 3 101
Core Training: MainStage 3 Explored
by: Vanacoro
More Info
  • PianoPete
    Mainstage Changing 3rd party preset
    Hi! First post and brand new to MainStage. Trying to make my first Concert and this is what's happening: -Create new concert using Keyboard template -Delete keyboard patch -Delete everything/all channel strips on concert level (except output and main) -Create new patch -Create new channel strip in new patch -Choose AU intstrument (Arturia Vox Continental V2) and a factory preset -save and exit When I the reload it the preset has not been saved properly. Specifically midi CC6 should be set to a value of 8 as in the factory preset but is changed to a value of 0. Any idea what's going on?
  • Joe A
    Re: Mainstage Changing 3rd party preset
    I tried the same thing but I couldn't duplicate the problem.. I don't have the Arturia instrument you used so I used a different third-party instrument with one of its factory presets -- after saving & re-opening the Concert, MS did correctly recall the saved preset. If the only thing not being saved correctly is the CC6 value, then it sounds like MS may be resetting CC values to 0 when you re-load the file. One thing that occurs to me might be to check the Preferences under the General tab. There's a parameter option called "On Patch Change", which [on my system] is set to a default setting Reset to Saved Value, with an alternative setting Keep Current Value -- I wonder if one of those settings might cause a CC value to be changed or reset when you reload the file..? [Btw, that Preference can also be set at the Concert or Patch level, under Attributes]. Of course that might have nothing to do with it -- I'm just guessing -- but it might be worth a look. Or, if the preset has the CC value set to 8 then maybe you need to set it up so MS automatically recalls the preset on reloading or selecting the Instrument, to get it to recall the factory setting for that CC. But again, just spitballing here.. It may be a simple setting, but I'm not a regular MS user, so I don't know the solution off the top of my head.. A search turned up an Apple MainStage Release Notes page that supposedly includes the text "Changes to saved values for screen controls mapped to MIDI CC messages are ... sometimes causes all Smart Controls to reset to a value of 0", but I couldn't find the particular item in a long list of bugfixes and new features on the page -- maybe there's something helpful there, if you can manage to dig it out.. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200269 I linked a MainStage course to the thread -- there are videos that talk about Preferences, Preset Setup, Patch Changes, and the like -- maybe there'll be something useful in there..
  • PianoPete
    Thanks for the reply. It's not the 'On Patch Change' parameter. I already tried that. It's not the midi controller as I disconnected it and it still happens. I don't know what you mean by 'maybe you need to set it up so MS automatically recalls the preset on reloading or selecting the Instrument, to get it to recall the factory setting for that CC'. It is pulling up the preset when I load it. CC6 is assigned to the first drawbar on the organ. All the other drawbars are loading correctly. I've even tried remapping the drawbar to another CC in the Arturia preset and it still happens! ugh!
  • Joe A
    Hmm.. If it happens without the controller and with a different CC mapped to that drawbar, maybe it's a problem with the plug-in itself, rather than MainStage resetting the CC value..? Off the top of my head, I can think of a few troubleshooting steps.. - Try different presets or create your own preset in the Arturia plug-in, to see if the issue is specific to that preset - Try a different organ plug-in if you have one (maybe even the included B3 plug-in), to see if the issue is specific to that plug-in - Try saving/reloading the same instrument/preset in another DAW (Logic, GarageBand?) to see if the issue is specific to MainStage That's about all I can think of, without being able to test/experiment directly with the patch and the specific instrument..
  • PianoPete
    Thanks again. -It happens on all presets including user made presets. -It is not happening on the included vintage B3 -I don't have another DAW. Tried to download GarageBand but it requires an OS update
  • PianoPete
    I uninstalled/reinstalled the Arturia Vox and it now seems to be working but I have to remap everything. Wish I knew what I did so I don't have to go through this again! Thanks for your help!
  • Joe A
    Hi Pete - So apparently it was the plug-in after all. Well at least you got it working -- hopefully it'll turn out to be a one-time glitch..
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: