Ask.Video
Forums
  • mPV Support
    Reason 4 is coming...
    Finally, the new version 4 of Reason is coming (end of september). You can check out the new goodies here : [url]http://www.propellerheads.se/products/reason4/index.cfm?fuseaction=get_article&article=main[/url]
  • Martin
    Re: Reason 4 is coming...
    Wow ... still no audio recording though. I find it so bizarre they've never tapped into that side of the market ...
  • mPV Support
    Here's what Mats Karlof and Ernst Nathorst Boos (from Propellerheads development team) have to say about this subject "Q :Recording audio in Reason has always been something people have discussed, why have you chosen not to add this feature still ? A : I'm sorry you'll get the same answer as always! Reason is the best at what it does. It's powerful and focused. There are other applications that are great for recording audio. We could never cram everything that they have into Reason without completely changing what it is and possibly killing the magic. Reason stays as Reason. So use ReWire!" (Source : FutureMusic August 2007).
  • Martin
    Hard to imagine it will stay this way though ... especially as all the other companies are slowly craming Reason into their DAWs. I used to use Reason all the time, and I thought it was amazing. I even proposed a visual quickstart guide to my publisher, but they didn't think there was enough of a market, at that time (2002). Now I never open it. There's enough options for tone generation directly in Logic, that I don't need to rewire in Reason. So I don't. I think that's bound to continue as a trend. Reason is basically saying "Please use Reason, but make sure you use it with another DAW that records and sequences better." That's great for the other DAWS, I guess, but what does it do for Reason? IMHO, Reason is perfectly suited to people making music on a budget. It's cheap, it works well, and it's actualy even fun to use. So why drive people to buy a different DAW for recording? It would be easy and cheap to add an audio track that does some basic recording ... then jam the recording through the normal Reason signal path for processing ... Keep all your customers faithful to 1 DAW. The real benefit Reason enjoys is price. BUt as we've seen with all other Applications, Apple always drops their prices over time, and not slowly, either. Look at Shake, which used to be $5,000 ... now it's $500. What happens when Logic becomes $500? or $300 ... or free ... who knws what the future will bring, but it's pretty likely to be lower priced DAWS. Then what does Propellerhead software do? Bottom line is, i think it's a poor strategy decision. Okay, That's my ramble for the month ...
  • mPV Support
    I agree with you completely... it's definitely a poor strategic decision. I'm sure it would'nt be very difficult to integrate a basic audio track to Reason sequencer... or at least some kind of virtual ADAT rack module or a way to record into one of Reason's sampler. I think they fear it would take away from Reason's simplicity. I still believe that Reason is a great app for what it does. It's simple and fun to use and can deliver surprising quality results in no time. A bit pricey for offering a "close system" though.
  • jvanva
    [quote:1002] What happens when Logic becomes $500? [/quote] I guess this should be revised to "What happens now that Logic is $500?" I was saving my pennies for the Reason 4 update, but the Logic Studio one upstaged it completely. Now I'm wondering if I should even keep Reason installed since my desire to use it has diminished considerably. I'm sure I won't be be the only one with this decision to make. Darth Vanva
  • mPV Support
    Now that Logic Studio is 499$, the choice between Logic and Reason is very easy to make. If you're into recording, I think it's clear now more than ever that Logic is the way to go. I'm really not sure about Reason future... but only time will tell. Maybe they should sell all the Reason's synths and FX in Audio Unit and VST format. I would find it more useful than using Rewire.
  • Linubaa
    Reason's a good toy for "Rack Fetishists" like myself, when I'm feeling in a fun electronica mood. Logic is better for more in depth composition and audio production. At only $100 more, getting Logic Studio makes more sense, considering it can do everything Reason can and then some. Now if only you could get a Rack View with MainStage... with virtual dangling cables in back .....
  • dapper dj
    [quote:1687]Finally, the new version 4 of Reason is coming (end of september). You can check out the new goodies here : [url]http://www.propellerheads.se/products/reason4/index.cfm?fuseaction=get_article&article=main[/url][/quote] _______________________________________________________ iv had this debate with many before. most people who think reason is shit are those who have pirate copies, who cant enjoy the benefits of being a propellerheads.com.se registered member. reason cannot be used to its full potential without all the extras that official registration brings. on the other hand, those with registration who claim it is shit obviously dont know how to use it properly. the secret to using reason is to use multiple devices and samples. eg- dont use one device to make a single sound; use four+ in a combi. using reason sounds and devices on their own simply dont cut it. very smart on propellerheads count, cause those with pirate copies drop it and forget about it. other programs all use the same sounds and thats why nothing seems to sound original anymore. reason enables us to create original sounds that will ultimately put us ahead of the rest. its always worth the extra effort to achieve this. ((dapper dj 28 F western oz))
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: