Ask.Video
Forums
  • ulrichburke
    Making sounds 'Soft', yet loud, in Reason 3
    Dear Anyone. Got an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard, 1 gig Ram, Reason 3 on a PC with an AMD Sempron motherboard. F'starters, let's make you all cringe. I'm a PC user, but I'm hoping Reason works the same way on Macs because I'm getting no sense from the PC forums. And I'm not a Techno writer, I'm a wannabe New Age musician. Gentle piano/flute/orch. sounds and soft, buzzy strings with everything. Which is my BIG problem. Making things sound gentle. If I turn down the velocity on the piano, it gets so quiet you can't hear it even with the volume on 127. If I turn the velocity back up, it sounds like it's being played with a sledgehammer. If I add reverb to try to cover that up, it just sounds like a sledgehammer in an echo chamber. Exactly the same with everything else. If it's audible, it's too HARSH. If I turn down velocity to kill the harshness, it's too quiet. And that's with volume on 127!! Think of Richard Clayderman/Yanni/any piano-and-strings/flute-and-strings piece of New Age you've heard. Lovely, soft, buzzy strings, soft pianos, soft flutes but they're all AUDIBLE!! Please, how do you make things sound soft without them going too quiet? And how do you get that wonderful soft, buzzy string sound? This prob's been killing me ever since Reason 3 first came out and someone told me to buy it. Nobody seems to know how to do this. But it must be simple as so many artists ARE doing it. The books don't tell you how to create softness, just that velocity creates hardness. Which I know. I want softness and audibility. Is it possible? Yours hopefully - sorry I'm not a mac user - ulrichburke
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Making sounds 'Soft', yet loud, in Reason 3
    Hi ulrichburke This is a hard question to answer. What instruments are you using in Reason to play your sounds? I used to primarily make ambient, new age style music for meditation purposes. However, I've always tended towards using Logic. If a sound is too harsh or has a very strong initial "hit" I would reduce the attack slightly on the sound, increase the release maybe, add some soft reverb etc... It's amazing how a chorus effect can make a "tinny" sound sweeter too. If your sound source (piano, harp etc) is too quiet that's not a problem as you can boost the signal of the sound later. For now turn up your speakers or reduce the volume of your other tracks. Later you can add compressors or other effect modules that can boost the output signal while keeping a more gentle sound as opposed to a hammered keyboard sound. Don't feel sorry for not being a mac user! There's still time... ;-) If you have any other questions do ask. We'll do our best to help! Cheers Rounik
  • mPV Support
    [quote:44655] If I turn down the velocity on the piano, it gets so quiet you can't hear it even with the volume on 127. If I turn the velocity back up, it sounds like it's being played with a sledgehammer. If I add reverb to try to cover that up, it just sounds like a sledgehammer in an echo chamber. [/quote] Here's a way to do this with theNN-XT "A Grand Piano" patch. 1-Create a NN-XT and load the "A Grand Piano" patch. 2-Click on the arrow to access the "Remote Editor" controls. 3-Choose Edit > Select All Zones (I think it's Control-A on a PC ). 4-Turn down the "Level" control to taste in the "Velocity" section of the NN-XT. A setting of 40 % should do the trick. 5-You can also set "F.Freq" to around 60 % under Velocity. Don't forget to use the RV7000 for reverb and ping pong delays for this kind of music. I hope it helps!
  • mPV Support
    Also, it's a good idea to use the Combinator to mix a Piano, a classical guitar and a very soft string sound. Take care! Christian
  • mPV Support
    Hi Ulrichburke, I'm wondering... did it work for you ?
  • ulrichburke
    Dear Christian. Thank you very much for your help, I was wondering what the combinator did! I've just been selecting devices via patches, using the 'Create Device by Browsing Patches' choice. It's 2am here now and I've just finished reading your lovely post - sorry if it's been up a few days, been doing a bunch of spreadsheets for people. Would you believe they TYPED answers in the total columns, wiping all the formulas I'd put in and I had to redo the lot!?! Customers. And people wonder why I need so much relaxation music in my life....!! Anyway. Just finished reading your lovely post and I'll try it all out in the morning. Just downloaded the video tutorial software. Will the MAC tutorial vids for Reason be applicable to PCs? Can't find any PC equivalent vids out there and the tutorials I have found for PC owners are not good! Yours harmoniously Chris.
  • mPV Support
    Hi Ulrichburke. Sorry to hear about that spreadsheets nightmare! The Combinator will let you mix different Reason devices in one. You seem to like relaxation music and that's why I suggested you use the combinator to get that classic Piano/Guitar/Pad type of sound. And don't worry, the Reason tutorials are just as great for PC users! Reason is almost identical on both both platform. Do not hesitate to post on the forum if you have further questions. We're here to help! Have fun creating music wth Reason!
  • Ramon
    In case you need an alternative, by selecting a good piano patch in the NNXT open the remote editor select a group in the keyzone and adjust the velocity for just that group to a lower setting. the other option is adjust the velocity to level knob for the same group.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: