Ask.Video
Forums
  • Sprite101
    New to music production
    Hey. I am brand new to music production and audio engineering and I am very interested in jumping in. Besides the copy of reason 5 i'm getting I wanted to post to see if there was any gear i should look into and start researching. To either buy now/future or just get comfortable with. Looking mainly to do electronic type music. Any advice or suggestions would be awesome. Thanks.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: New to music production
    Hi Sprite101 an welcome to the macProVideo forums :) Are you on Mac or PC? Do you plan on recording/sampling any audio e.g. vocals, etc? Do you have a budget in mind? Thanks Rounik
  • Sprite101
    Mac all the way. I plan to record vocals and things in the future. I'm really interested in dance music production. And as far as budget goes I'm open to all suggestions as of now. As far as software goes reason 5 is what I have... no hard equipment yet.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Sprite101, OK... In no particular order: - firewire Audio Interface (with preamps). If you want the ability to record up to two sources simultaneously then an Apogee Duet is sweet. Other great ones are the Presonus Firebox and Motu interfaces. M-Audio are on the cheaper side and many people like to use them. - Microphones... A big topic to beak down into one short sentence.. basically for vocal recording in the studio check out a condensor microphone... can be from £50 (GBP) to many thousands of £... all comes down to budget. - Monitors (this means speakers) - Like microphones these can be extremely cheap or very expensive. KRK's are good and reasonably priced. - MIDI Keyboard (as a controller - not generating it's own sounds!) - you could start small and get a 49 key controller with knobs and faders so you can trigger sounds in Reason and map controls from Reason to your keyboard's knobs and faders... - A decent pair of headphones. AKG, Beyerdynamic, etc, etc are all good brands. Let me know if you have any questions about this :) Rounik
  • J-Doc
    What if I have an iMac 27inch i7 with 4gigs of ram......do I need to get 8 . And is FireWire audio driver because I have USB now presonus . ... And on monitors is the m audio monitors good or which would you recommend for someone who wants the final to be as professional as possible
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: