Ask.Video
Forums
  • fastandweird
    assigning meaning to multiple forms of dB
    Hi, Right now I am listening to headphones at a setting of -22dB. I often hear the dialogue while editing should be between -12dB and -6dB. Don't ever want to go above 0dB. My room's natural level is about +60dB. If I crank up the stereo, it gets up to +110dB. Anyone able to help me put this in perspective? very confused. Thanks! Jeff
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: assigning meaning to multiple forms of dB
    Hi Jeff, This might be of interest: [url]http://www.exair.com/en-US/wiki/Wiki%20Pages/sound%20levels.aspx[/url] When you say your headphones are set to -22dB what do you mean? In Logic? On your audio interface? Going over 0dB on Logic's master output will likely cause clipping and distortion. Your final output for video/film should reside somewhere between -12dB and -6dB. This means when you are outputting your final mix/master, make sure your output signal doesn't exceed these values (on the Channel strip level meter). You can use a limiter to stop the signal exceeding a certain value... How loud your stereo can go is of no relevance to the output within Logic. At the end of the day dB are a relative way of measuring sound levels. Hope that helps :) Rounik
  • fastandweird
    Rounik, Thanks for that link, very helpful. I'm trying to figure out why everything isn't working on the same scale. If I record a conversation at 60dB, why is it showing up as -12dB to -6dB? why isn't it showing up as 60dB? why is 0dB the limit for how loud something should be? why isn't it a positive value?
  • fastandweird
    [quote:7638] When you say your headphones are set to -22dB what do you mean? In Logic? On your audio interface? **on my audio interface** How loud your stereo can go is of no relevance to the output within Logic. **i was trying to illustrate an actual volume level read off a loudness or decibel meter- this 110dB sound would, i gather, be read as 0dB or clipping in FCP** Rounik[/quote] thanks for the help!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi, No problem! You might be interested in this tutorial on Sound: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/sound[/url] Also, Martin talks in depth about amplitude, frequency and sample rates in the Core Logic 8: Logic 101 [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/Logic8101[/url] Hope that helps :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: