Ask.Video
Forums
  • Student450438
    EXS24 Importing Instruments & Samples
    Hi to all and appreciate your feedback. I had a 6yr hiatus from making music traveling for work and just returned home and rebuilt my studio. Had to update all my software including upgrading to Logic Pro X. I had all my libraries (Logic Folder) on an external drive with alias folders of Apple Loops, Ultrabeat and EXS24 sample folders. Also in this logic folder I have folders of samples/patches/instruments for keyboards sounds of the Access Virus, Poly Evolver, Prophet 8, Motif, Triton, etc... These keyboard presets were accessible in the EXS24 but now are not on the instrument list. Some of these folders contains .wav, .exs. .sf2 files. I saw some videos of how to import only the wave files into EXS24 but its very tedious and time consuming. All of these folders only have one type of file I mentioned in each folder. For example, the Access Virus has only .wav files, the Poly Evolver has only .sf2 files and the Prophet 8 only has .exs files. My question is what is the easiest process to import all these samples/patches/instruments back into the EXS24? Also I keep reading in these forums that it might be easier to import into Ultrabeat? Please help me with the easiest and most efficient path to follow...
  • Joe A
    Re: EXS24 Importing Instruments & Samples
    The current location for all user EXS Instruments—the .exs files—is ~(User folder)->Music->Audio Music Apps->Sampler Instruments. For years I kept these files on a separate dedicated hard disk aliased from that location (along with the actual audio samples), but since these .exs files are small I'd suggest just keeping them on the startup disk. The audio samples themselves can be stashed anywhere, but EXS may have to search for them the first time you load an Instrument (.exs) file—after that it'll remember their location(s). However if your startup disk has plenty of free space, you might as well keep them in the same place as well (there used to be a dedicated SoundFont Samples folder there for .sf2s, next to the Sampler Instruments folder). To be loaded into EXS any loose .wav files will have to be imported into EXS the first time via EXS->Edit (window)->Zone (submenu)->Load Multiple Samples (^O), mapped (or auto-mapped), and then saved as .exs Instrument files as well; EXS has a dedicated SoundFont Convert function in the Options menu within the plug-in. If the .wavs and .sf2s in your folders were previously available as Instruments/patches within EXS then this must have been done already, and assumedly the associated .exs files are included in any .exs folder(s), so placing them in the above location should once again make those Instruments available in the EXS preset menu within the plug-in. Since you only mentioned user sounds I assume you've installed the Factory Library in the (separate) standard location(s) on the startup disk, but it's now possible to set that location to an external drive as well, via Logic Pro X (menu)->Sound Library->Relocate Sound Library... But again, if the startup drive has plenty of free space (~70GB or so is needed for the complete Factory Library) I'd just install it there.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: