Ask.Video
Forums
  • Student490278
    Garageband Help Needed
    Hello everyone, I have been using GarageBand to record music for a while. I started on my old MacBook Air, and when I upgraded to my MacBook Pro, I realized I needed to save all of my data before completely erasing all information on my old Mac Air. I saved all of my music to two usb drives (only one that actually saved the data). On the other hand, I found myself bumboozled when I realized that one usb drive seemed to not be opening and claimed that it was not working. And so the only way that I was able to receive my songs from that other usb drive was to download, and use an app (iMyFone Anyrecover) that costed $60 bucks to convert the missing data to my now owned MacBook Pro. After all of these struggles I faced, the songs appear in my finder as '.band'. When I click on them to open them up, they do not open up, but instead ask to be saved somewhere, and when I click 'GarageBand for MacOS - iCloud', it says, "The file could not be opened" and then shows up as an empty project in GarageBand. COULD ANYONE HELP?!!! I NEED MY SONGS BACK!
  • Joe A
    Re: Garageband Help Needed
    Hi - The .band format is the correct format for GarageBand songs on a Mac. If you got them over to the Mac I would think they should open, unless they're corrupted on the USB drive.. I'm unclear on how you transferred the files -- it sounds like you accessed the USB drive via an app on your phone..? I'm not familiar with the app you mentioned so I can't offer any advice there, but it sounds like you did manage to get them over to the MacBook.. Without actually poking around on the computer I can't be sure what's going on there, but I can offer a few general troubleshooting suggestions.. - As always, do a hard shutdown/restart and then try opening the files again - Try saving the .band songs directly to your MacBook's hard disk and not to cloud storage..? - Try connecting the USB drive to another Mac [if possible] to see if it can be read there, to determine if the files themselves are corrupted [especially since you said your MacBook couldn't read the USB drive].. - Test to see if you can create a new Project in GarageBand, save it, and re-open it [to determine if the problem is with those particular files or with GarageBand itself] - If you still have the MacBook Air, try re-saving the files to a fresh HD or USB drive and doing the direct transfer again.. There was an older thread on problems opening files in GarageBand -- I don't know of any of it applies to your situation [I think they were using DropBox to exchange GarageBand files], but here's the link, just in case there's something there that might be of any help.. https://macprovideo.com/forums/audio/garageband/thread/9322-problem-opening-garageband-project-files- In that older thread they never indicated that the issue had been resolved, so ultimately, this might be a problem best solved by getting in touch directly with Apple Tech Support for GarageBand-- they can access your computer remotely and actually see what's going on..
  • Student490278
    To answer a couple more of the unknown with my problem, I now have a MacBook Pro and am trying to get the files off of a usb that I transferred from my previously owned MacBook Air. I will definitely try some of those troubleshooting suggestions prior to getting ahold of Apple Tech Support. Thanks again!!!
  • Student496413
    I'll do my best to explain this. I was recording my voice over prerecorded guitar and keyboards. My keyboards were on tempo with the click track, but when I sang over the keyboards, the keyboards came in later than it should have. This happened several times. I deleted a section of the keyboard because it was off, and it was still there when I deleted it. I turned saved my music file, GarageBand off and restarted my computer. When I got back to it, the audio loops were in half, and I had to stretch them out. Is this a GarageBand issue or an issue with my Mac mini? My Mac mini is 12.5.1 and GarageBand is 10.4.6. I understand there is some kind of corruption going on. Is this part of the corruption?
  • Joe A
    Hi - Well, if it is some kind of corruption causing this problem it would mostly likely be GarageBand or the specific GB Project. Here are a couple of suggestions for troubleshooting.. - Try recording the same thing in a brand new GB Project. If the problem doesn't return, then it's most likely corruption in that specific GB Project. - If the same problem occurs in a brand new GB Project, then the issue might be with GarageBand, and you might want to re-install it. I don't really understand what you mean when you say 'when I sang over the keyboards, the keyboards came in later than it should have' -- if the keyboards were already recorded, how could recording a new vocal track change their timing? You also said 'I deleted a section of the keyboard because it was off, and it was still there when I deleted it.' The only way I could imagine this happening is if the vocal mic is picking up the sound of the keyboard through your speakers and re-recording it [out of time] on the vocal track..?
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: