Ask.Video
Forums
  • Student480435
    Problems raising the RMS level
    Hi Everyone,] I am producing an audiobook and my RMS (dB RMS) is at -33.3 which is too low. Would you know how to increase the RMS level of the file by 10 dB? Thanks so much in advance for your replies.
  • Joe A
    Re: Problems raising the RMS level
    Hi - Do you mean that an audio file you imported is too low in level, or that the finished (edited) audiofile you're exporting is too low in level? In either case, here's what you can do.. To add gain to an imported audiofile on an Audio Track: - Display the Smart Controls pane (shortcut "B") at the bottom - Select the Track (Header) - In the Plug-in section add a Gain plug-in and dial up the desired 10dB increase To add gain to an overall Project that you're about to export: - Display the Smart Controls pane (shortcut "B") at the bottom - Go to the Track menu and select Show Master Track - Select the Master Track (Header) - Add a Gain plug-in and dial up the desired 10dB increase
  • Student480435
    Hi Joe, Thanks so much for your response. The audio file I'm having a problem with is the edited audio file that I'm exporting. Would the Gain plug-in be located as one of the options in the Compressor plug-in? I don't see a separate Gain plug-in to add.
  • Joe A
    HI - If there isn't already a Gain plug-in there, click on an empty plug-in slot, and you'll find Gain in the Utility subfolder. (If there's no empty slots, just hover on the line below the last plug-in -- when a light blue line appears , click it for the plug-in menu)..
  • Student480435
    Thanks for the tips re: raising the RMS levels. I have been tweaking the levels to get try to reach the sweet spot, but then it says my peak levels are too high. Is there a park limiter that could help with this issue? Thanks so much!
  • Joe A
    Hi - GarageBand doesn't have a dedicated mastering Limiter like Logic's AdLimiter, but the regular Limiter plug-in in GB should be useful. Display the Master Track, open up the Smart Controls Pane (B), and insert the Limiter at the end (the bottom) of the insert chain of Master Track plug-ins. Set the Output Level (Ceiling) to -1dB and crank up the Gain to increase the average level. Unfortunately GB doesn't provide the kind of metering tools you'd need to guage the actual average level (or the LUFS level, for streaming applications) -- for that you'd need Logic or some third-party mastering plug-ins..
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: