Ask.Video
Forums
  • Dragontheory
    Apogee.....what do I really need any ways?
    Im about to make a huge upgrade to my studio..... I have aprox.....15 G's to spend..... That can drive any modest studio junkie MAD .... Im not even sure were to start.... This is what I like to do.....Maybe someone can help.... I mostly work alone...instrumentals for Commercials and film....nothing huge as of yet....I am working on a project for the L-Word....still a spec Job....but im getting a great response for a song I wrote for a female singer... Any Ways.......I have absolutely maxed my first generation G5 iMac. Its gotten to the point were I have to bounce a complete song down.....then open it in a new song...just to record the vocals...and reverse the process to Mix the vocals with the original track... I use BFD drums(amazing)...Would like to start using Ableton Live.... I play drums...and plan to spend the huge chunk of cash to buy V-Drums... And I work with other musicians ....NEVER recording more than 8 tracks at once.... So....Apogee.....ensemble? Yes....right? I hear all good things about it....and that it blows the comp. away.... But what about the symphony sound card....Is this something I would need....Im not even sure what it does.... Ok....next thing is .....the mother Ship......How massive of a G5 do I really need? I never ever want to have to freeze tracks again...im over it.....drives me mad.... And my current latency is ridicules.....I have all my audio preferences set almost @ the minimal... ok....any one have a logical solution.....for my situation....spending 15G's? Do I really need the dual Quad? Or is my Ego getting the best of me? e.
  • zenguan88
    Re: Apogee.....what do I really need any ways?
    appoggee its a system where by its copy something like PROTOOLS HD system. but the thing you have to note is appoggee is a native format, not TDM. well if you buy the appoggee system, you need to have their AD DA convertor, the symphony cards which give your CPU DSP power. however their DSP is termed in an appoggee language. meaning they have their own name for DSP. but it works the same way. lastly you need a cable to link the symphony card with the AD / DA convertor (which must be of appoggee products, you cannot use other AD/DA convertor) another way of increasing your setup , you might considering investing on yet another G5, and link your MAC's via nodes, i am assuming you are a logic user. :) if you are recording something like 8 tracks, you might not need so much of that power after all. i saw some studio using APPLE servers as part of their setups too. :)
  • Dragontheory
    Im still a bit confused..... ensemble??? or.... Symphony Card+expensive converter.....? And what is the difference in TMD and Native? Confusing....sorry........... e.
  • zenguan88
    ensemble is an audio interface, which is different. okay TDM and Native. well okay imagine your MAC to be 32 bits and 64 bits, the 64 bits, allow you to use more rams and therefore more power as you can utilize more of its power. TDM and Native works something like that, but TDM has a wider bit depth and sample rate if i am not wrong, and use more processing from your computer, compare to NATIVE. therefore TDM if you look at WAVES Plug ins, or any other, TDM cost twice as much as NATIVE plug ins. professional ears are convince they are able to tell the different btw NATIVE and TDM plug in, but really, unless you really really are going to that PRO a quality you dont need TDM at all :D most people cannot tell the difference :D http://www.apogeedigital.com/ this might tell you more about apogee setups :D
  • Scott
    Hello and Hope the Shopping hasn't started yet. All you need is a New G5 which is coming out within a matter of weeks so hold on just a bit longer - if you can ? Have a look at this link and I do hope this will help You. http://www.seminars.apple.com/seminarsonline/logic7instruments/apple/index.html?s=203&locs=us_en Also look at this link - Ideal set up for a Studio. http://www.apple.com/macpro/performance.html - See Music and Audio In Oct will be some new Towers Coming! Scott
  • BigAl
    Yeah, I'll just get the new G5. I think they call it the MacPro.The only PCI-e audio board available when I purchased my G5 was Apogee and ProTools stuff. Other than that, you may need to go firewire if you can't find an audio card for the PCI-e slot. Don't forget that you can use ProTool's hardware with Logic, but it will cost you a lot of $$$$. If you get the Apogee card, I think you may be stuck with just Apogee converters. Check around to be sure because you want to use whatever converter that you like. TDM is is plug-ins for Protools system. Native plugins are regular stuff that can be use on everything else. Al
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: