Ask.Video
Forums
  • Student471606
    Wah/Volume Control with Line 6 FBR Express
    Hi Ive just bought a Line 6 FBR Express to control MainStage when I'm rehearsing. I can get it to do most of the things I want t to such as switching pedals on/off, and scrolling through patches, however I'm having trouble setting it up so the foot pedal can be used both as a volume pedal and as a wah wah. Currently the pedal sends cc messages by Channels 11 and 7 and this is controlled by a switch on the pedal in much the same way as a wah wah pedal (press hard down). I have managed to get MainStage to switch between the two effects, but if I switch to volume, the wah pedal is still on, set in the down position. Can someone tel me if I can switch from volume to wah - switching the wah pedal on as I do this and from Wah to Volume, switching the wah pedal off at the same time?
  • Joe A
    Re: Wah/Volume Control with Line 6 FBR Express
    Hi - Hmm.. Is the pedal outputting data on Channels 11 and 7 or is it switching between MIDI Control Change messages 11 and 7, which sounds more likely [CC7=volume, CC11=Expression]? If it's the latter, then that's probably why the wah effect is just staying on at the last position (down) before you pushed the switch to change CC functions. Unfortunately it sounds like the pedal is just switching from outputting one CC to the other when you push its switch, but not outputting any kind of message that could be used to somehow shut off the wah pedal entirely. I'd really have to see how the patch is set up.. Where is the wah effect actually coming from, I assume a plug-in? If so, maybe the plug-in Bypass could be set up to be controlled from the pedal, by making a second pedal object also controlled by the Line 6 pedal's CC11 output, and assigning it to the wah plug-in bypass via the Screen Control Inspector Mapping [as per the screenshot below]..? Of course I'm just guessing as to how your patch is set up -- I'd have to have the whole thing in front of me [the Concert, the pedal] to experiment with to know if it'd work for you.. I've attached a MainStage course to this thread -- maybe there'll be something helpful in there [videos 21 & 22 get into Assignments & Mapping].
  • Joe A
    Update - Apparently you can assign a MIDI command to the pedal toe switch with its own software utility, so if that could be set up as a toggle maybe you could alternatively use that to switch the wah effect on and off..?
  • Student471606
    Jo Thanks everyone so much for coming back to me. I’m up against a work deadline, but I’ll reply with everything you need and I’ll have a look at the course too. Didn’t want to leave you hanging. Thanks Mark
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: