Ask.Video
Forums
  • Student396394
    Keyscape MIDI Program change
    I have somehow managed to teach each Logic Pro Keyscape track which keyboard I want that track to load. I thought I simply went into Record and clicked within Keyscape. However, I can't see any MIDI information in my track MIDI . What is going on? How does each track know to select the desired Keyboard? pete
  • Joe A
    Re: Keyscape MIDI Program change
    Hi Pete - I'm not sure I understand what you mean by > I have somehow managed to teach each Logic Pro Keyscape track which keyboard I want that track to load If you create a new Instrument track and insert Keyscape, I would expect that you'd have to manually select the desired keyboard in each instance of Keyscape each time you add a new track. The only way I can think of for you to have several Keyscape tracks with various keyboards at the ready is to set it up by hand and then save that Logic Project as a Template -- when you start a new Project from that Template, Logic should open it with all the Keyscape tracks ready & waiting with the correct keyboards [the ones you chose when you created the Keyscape Template] already selected in each track. Unless you meant you were trying to record Keyscape program change messages into Logic tracks..? Is that what you meant by > I thought I simply went into Record and clicked within Keyscape. However, I can't see any MIDI information in my track MIDI If that's what you meant, then maybe selecting a keyboard in Keyscape doesn't actually generate a MIDI Program Change message..? I don't have Keyscape here so I can't be more specific about that, but if you check the online Keyscape manual there are a couple of sections in there about program changes, in case that's what you were thinking of..
  • Student396394
    Hi Joe, what i mean is that I have created little 'initiating' regions which contain a single Prog change. Without them, the MIDI track will play on whichever keyboard I select in the KeyScape instrument list, as the MIDI plays. That way, I can hear how my musical sketh will sound on different instruments. All good so far? Now, I want to set the kbd sound so that whatever I do to Keyscape, that track will always have a specific KS sound attached. I can swap kbds on the fly, but when I play from the beginning, it will always be THAT sound. What you mentioned about setting Prog changes into tracks is much the same idea. That would be useful, too. Those little initiate regions are strange. The MIDI data in there is a single GM progchange that looks the same whichever track I've set. In other words, one track is Fender, another is clavi, and they will awlays default to fender and clavi. As soon as I remove the initial regions, the tracks might default to Saved, but if I try different sounds, will always remember those , rather than the defaults. I can swap the fender and clavi initial regions and they will still default tp the previous sounds. How do I attach a screenshot here?
  • Student396394
    I have received a post advising that I go here: https://support.spectrasonics.net/manual/Keyscape/11/en/topic/getting-started ------------------- but I can;t find any reference to where the embedded data can be found or edited.
  • Joe A
    Hi Pete - MIDI Program Change messages can call up a program change in whatever Instrument plug-in is on the track, but they won't call up a specific Instrument plug-in. So if the Instrument plug-in is changed, the MIDI Program Change message will call up whatever sound corresponds to that number in the new Instrument, which may be a different sound entirely. Those GM Program Change designations are just a guidelines, each Instrument will have their own version of those sounds. More importantly, that GM sound set you mentioned is not implemented in many/most high-end virtual instruments, and on top of that many virtual instruments may not respond to GM Program Change messages at all. That Keyscape manual should get into it, but the Instrument may not necessarily do what you're looking for it to do there -- again, I don't have Keyscape so I can't check it out myself. The part about defaults and swapping regions, I'm not clear on that -- unfortunately you can't attach a screenshot here.
  • Student396394
    Thanjs again, Joe :-) > MIDI Program Change messages [...] won't call up a specific Instrument plug-in. I know this, and I am asking about changing instruments /within/ a plugin Here is a link to the screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ojebeq79sznsn9/Keyscape%20puzzle.png?dl=0 :-) pete
  • Joe A
    Hi Pete - I don't see anything in the Keyscape manual to suggest the it responds specifically to General MIDI Program Change messages [which would not really make sense for an Instrument that's all keyboard sounds], but there is a section that discusses assigning MIDI Program Change messages [or CC messages or even note messages] to call up particular presets [see below], which they apparently call MIDI Remote Control. That would seem to me to be the only way to possibly accomplish what you're looking to do. Again, since I don't have Keyscape here, I can't test that feature out, so I can't be more specific about how to set it up -- you'd have to follow the manual description and experiment with it to see if you can get it to do what you want. https://support.spectrasonics.net/manual/Keyscape/11/en/topic/midi-remote-control
  • Student396394
    thanks again, Joe. My reply was rejected by admin. I've contacted them to ask why sorry pete
  • Joe A
    Hi Pete - Sometimes if there's a URL included, or if there are formatting characters like slashes, colons, parentheses, etc, a post may be rejected. If you just stick to regular text (letters & numbers) and basic punctuation (period, comma, etc) it should be ok.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: