Ask.Video
Forums
  • Joe A
    Mastering for Piano Solo Album
    Andre van Haren writes: Quote Hi! How much mastering would a piano solo album need? Having 12 tracks all recorded with the same piano? Would it be a matter of only volume balancing and limiting to -0.3 ceiling? End quote Hi Andre - It would depend on the musical style.. For classical piano minimum processing [as you described] would be the usual approach; for pop music a little more EQ/compression might be applied for a more aggressive/commercial piano sound. Note: If you're planning to stream the tracks the maximum peak level standard for that is usually a -1 ceiling -- check out the "New Scales & Standards" video [#12]
  • Andre van Haren
    Re: Mastering for Piano Solo Album
    Hi Joe, thanks for your answer. What about compression on classical music? (I compose mainly classical style music, not pop music). I ripped a CD with piano music (Chopin Polonaises), dated 1976. Looking at the wave form it looks like there wasn't any compression done at all, it has a large dynamic range and has lots of high transients. Peak is -0.0DB, LUFS is -18.44. Should compression be less when working with classical music? thanks! best wishes, André
  • Joe A
    Hi André - With classical music recordings generally the approach has often been to use as little processing as possible [or even no processing]. In the analog era some compression was necessary with recordings that had a very wide dynamic range, simply to make them fit in the limited dynamic range of older media [tape, vinyl], but with modern 24-bit digital there's really no technical need for compression. However, a separate master for 16-bit CD duplication might employ a little more compression for very-wide-range recordings. Another consideration might be whether the playback systems and playback environments of the target audience would be capable of handling a very wide-range dynamic recording, but for the highest-fidelity recordings -- especially for audiophile market -- compression could be minimized or avoided. The recording you mentioned seems to fit with a minimal-processing approach. Current recommendations for average level are between -20 LUFS [classica] and -16 LUFS [pop], with peak level around -1dBfs [or -2] to avoid potential inter-sample peaks which could [at least in theory] cause some distortion in playback on lower-quality playback systems. The use of brickwall limiting as a tool to increase average level is [hopefully] on its way out, returning to its original purpose of simple protection against digital overloads.
  • Andre van Haren
    Thanks!
    Thanks, Joe. You comments and the course are very helpful! Have a great weekend! best wishes, André
  • Andre van Haren
    Hi Joe, after working on mastering my album tracks for some time using the LUFS and True Peak for Spotify, I have still a question. How can I get both the LUFS level at -14 and the True Peak at -1? When having the LUFS correct, the Peak is still around -4, but boosting the Gain plugin to reach -1 Peak also increases of course the LUFS. What approach should I use here? Thanks! André
  • Joe A
    Hi Andre - The peak levels don't have to reach -1, that's just a maximum limit. If the LUFS level is at -14 and the transient peaks are not strong enough to hit -1TP that's perfectly fine, no need to do anything -- just leave the LUFS level as is.
  • Andre van Haren
    Great, thanks!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: