Forums
This thread relates to...
Final Cut Pro X 104
Working in the Timeline
by: benbalser
More Info
  • Plem
    Edit compound clip while monitoring the timeline audio
    This is what I would like to do but cannot accomplish: I like to edit a compoundclip while listening to the audio from the timeline, so not necessarily the clipaudio. That is not a funny question, isn’t it? Lots of people probably work like that. Or would like to? Any hint is welcome. Thanks Peter
  • Joe A
    Re: Edit compound clip while monitoring the timeline audio
    Hi Peter - I'm an audio guy myself, but a search came up with a couple of suggestions -- this one sounds like it might be worth trying: Quote: Blade the audio at the In and Out points of the Compound Clip, copy that, open the Compound Clip in its own timeline, paste that audio in, and edit. When done, mute or delete that audio clip inside the Compound Clip. Back in the Project Timeline, select each blade point, hit delete to remove the cuts. :End Quote I've also attached one of our FCP courses [above] -- it includes a section on working in the timeline with compound clips [videos 16-20], maybe there'll be something in there that'll help.
  • Plem
    Nice workaround of cause. Thanks for your comment. But isn’t it funny that hardly anyone seems to want a function like this: Just somewhere a switch to choose which audio you here? Didn’t find the video-link though.
  • Joe A
    I guess they don't get enough requests for that feature, so it's probably way down at the bottom of the to-do list -- the squeaky wheel gets the grease, as they say.. ;-) Btw the link to the video is the "More Info" box up top..
  • Plem
    Thanks!
  • BenB
    Yes, place the audio inside the compound, as suggested. But I'd never delete it, just mute it (V key shortcut), in case you need it again. But why is the audio not in the compound to start with? If the audio is longer than the compound, then perhaps a compound clip is not what you should be using in the project timeline. Without more information or a screen shot of your project timeline, and what you are trying to accomplish, I can't give any more detailed advice. But in my many, many years of experience, if you have having this issue, you're probably not setting up your media properly in the project.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become an Ask.Video Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: